When you register in the NHS App, there will be a series of checks to confirm your identity. You WILL NOT have to go into the surgery to register if you have a passport or photocard driving licence.
You can choose to log in using fingerprint recognition, facial recognition or username and password of your choice.
You can also access NHS App services from the browser on your desktop or laptop computer.
If you would like access to parts of your medical record online please see the section below titled 'Access to medical records online'
If you'd like more information about how to sign up for the NHS App, please click here.
For a YouTube tutorial video on how to register for the NHS App, please click here.
For a YouTube tutorial video on a beginners guide on downloading the NHS App on your iPhone, please click here.
You will need a unique ID and password to create a Patient Access account. Please speak to a member of our reception team next time you call or visit the surgery and they can provide you with this. You will be asked for proof of identity, i.e. a passport, driving licence or proof of address. We may be able to check your identity over the phone.
Patient access is also available to use as an App. Download it from the Apple Store (Apple device) or the Google Play Store (Android device).
You can still contact the practice by phone, this is just another option (alongside the NHS App), which other patients have found is more convenient and saves them time. More information, including "how to" leaflets and videos of patients explaining why they are using GP online services are available at NHS GP Online Services.
Why use online services?
There are many benefits to either using the NHS App or Patient Access, including being able to view parts of your medical record without speaking to the surgery first. If you have repeat medication, then using online services can be a quick and convenient option for you, because:
- You can order your medication at any time of the day, 7 days a week
- You do not have to wait for the surgery/pharmacy to be open to order
- You can see when your request has been approved so you know when to collect the medication from your nominated pharmacy
- You can keep track of your orders and see what you have requested
- It is a safe and secure way of ordering - you just tick the box next to the item you wish to order, eliminating the chance of misspelling difficult drug names
- You save wastage as you only order what you need each time
- You can change your pharmacy nomination at any time to one that suits you
You can also request proxy access to order medications for people you care for - this could be a family member, like an elderly parent or young child, who cannot order their medications themselves. You can easily switch between linked profiles on the NHS App if you have proxy access for someone. Please speak to one of receptionists for more information about requesting proxy access.
Access to Medical Records Online
You can request access to parts of your medical record using this form: Request for access to full online record. You will need to complete this form, ensuring you fill out your name and date of birth, sign the form and select which aspects of your medical record you would like to be able to access. You can choose to all or some of the following sections:
- Your immunisations (including the COVID-19 vaccine)
- A list of active problems you are currently diagnosed with
- Your consultations
- Any test results which have been seen by a GP (i.e. blood test results or x-rays) and any measurements that have been taken (i.e. blood pressure, height, weight)
Once you have completed the form, you will need to return it to the practice. You can send the form to us via email at email@example.com.
Once we have received your form we will review your record and contact you in order to carry out some identity checks. This is part of the security measures to keep your records safe. If you are already set up with the NHS App or Patient Access you won't need to do anything else - you will be able to view these parts of your record next time you log in to use these services.
If you are not set up with Patient Access or the NHS App then please register to use these services. If you wish to use Patient Access then we may need to ask you to bring some identity documents into the surgery so we can verify your identity. We will then provide you with the linkage key and codes that are required for registration. Alternatively, you can register for the NHS App with the photo identity documents at home today - you do not need to come into the surgery.
Advantages of being able to view parts of your medical record online are:
- You can view your test results without needing to call your GP practice
- You can follow test results over time to see any trends or patterns if you have repeated tests
- You can view your immunisation history - this may be required for some job applications or to check dates for flu or covid vaccinations
- You can see which medications you are using